- Stormwater Ordinances
- What You Can Do
What You Can Do
This information is being provided to give readers a general idea of what the law requires. It is not intended to provide a comprehensive description of the ordinance. The reader should consult the applicable ordinance for a full description of prohibited activities, exemptions that apply, and penalties associated with violation of these ordinances.
How You Can Help
In addition to complying with the Township’s ordinances, State, and Federal laws, there are things that members of the public can do to help keep our water clean.
How Residents Can Help
- Use fertilizer sparingly and sweep any that goes onto your driveway, sidewalk or roadway.
- Keep your trash and recycling containers tightly covered to prevent sanitation and recycling from blowing onto the road and sidewalks.
- Never dump anything down storm drains. Report any illegal dumping activities you witness to the Police Department.
- Vegetate bare spots on your property.
- Compost your yard waste.
- Keep use of pesticides to a minimum. Learn about Integrated Pest Management (IPM).
- Direct downspouts away from paved surfaces.
- Take your vehicles to the car wash instead of washing them in your driveway.
- Check your vehicles for leaks, and recycle motor oil.
- Pick up after your pet on your own property, and properly dispose of the waste.
- Don’t be a litterbug.
- Join a watershed action committee.
How Businesses Can Help
- Prevent wash or rinse water from entering storm drains.
- Keep your premises clean.
- Don’t rinse off work floors unless all water can be collected or directed to an approved sanitary waste system.
- If you can’t rinse without getting dirty water in storm drains, then use other cleaning options. Vacuum or dry sweep the area. Use absorbent material to collect most of the grime and then use solvent on a rag to remove the remaining grime. Consider painting work floors to prevent absorption of oil.
- Install cigarette butt receptacles for customers and employees.
- Keep sidewalks and parking lots free of litter and debris. Keep trash and recycling receptacles where patrons and employees can easily discard unwanted items.
- Empty receptacles regularly.
- Participate in an “Adopt A Road’ program to help keep the road your business is on free of litter.