Health Education & Information
Advisory to Residents – Improperly Abandoned Septic Systems
Abandoned septic systems (including septic tanks, seepage pits, dry wells, cesspools, and dosing tanks) must be pumped of all waste and then either removed or filled in completely with gravel, stones, or clean soil which is void of vegetative matter or wood.
With the construction of the Township’s sewerage facilities over fifty (50) years ago, many property owners abandoned their septic systems. If your home was initially built with a septic system, you should ensure it was abandoned per the procedure noted above. Abandoned septic systems not property-filled run the risk of caving in. This could cause an extremely serious condition. Some seepage pits built within the Township may be deeper than twenty feet. Depressions in either the front, side, or rear yard may indicate the presence of a septic system on the verge of possible collapse.
If you have any additional questions, contact the Health Department at 973-515-6640.
Miscellaneous Health Topics & Information:
- AED Awareness and Sports Safety (PDF)
- Improve Your Sleep (PDF)
- November - Great American Smokeout 2023 (PDF)
- November - Thanksgiving Fire Prevention Safety (PDF)
- October - Halloween Safety Tips (PDF)
- October - National Indoor Air Quality Month (PDF)
- October 8-14 - Fire Prevention Week: Safety Tips & Facts (PDF)
- Protect Yourself from COVID-19, Flu, and RSV 2023 (PDF)
- Seasonal Affective Disorder [SAD] (PDF)
- September - Food Safety Month: Myths and Facts (PDF)
- September - Preparedness Month: Grab & Go Bags (PDF)
- What to Know About Getting a Mammogram (PDF)
- Window Safety (PDF)
Safe Syringe Disposal Programs
It is NEVER acceptable to throw syringes into curbside trash or recycling, even when they are placed in a heavy-duty plastic container. There are several ways to dispose of your syringe medical waste. You may participate in a hospital syringe program or you may contact a mail away vendor. See the attached flyer (PDF) for proper ways to dispose of syringes.