2020 marked the 300-year anniversary of the 1720 name change of Whippenny to Hannover!
Please watch this video to learn a little bit more about Hanover's rich history!
The Hanover Township Landmark Commission works to identify, protect, and preserve historical sites within the township, including the Whippany Burying Yard, the oldest cemetery in Morris County.
The Hanover Township Landmark Commission's intent and purpose are to protect, enhance, and preserve sites and structures which exhibit historical, architectural or cultural significance for the community’s heritage, to foster a sense of civic pride and to promote the use of designated structures, sites and areas for the education, welfare and pleasure of this and future generations of the residents of Hanover Township.
- Conduct surveys of sites in the municipality for the purpose of determining those of historic significance, architecturally, culturally or otherwise.
- Arrange for the publication of maps and brochures about municipal historic sites and buildings. There is one with a tour of the burying yard available now at all the hotels in town and at the Morris County Tourism Bureau.
- Arrange for walks and tours.
- Cooperate with the National Park Service, the National Trust for Historic Preservation and/or the Morris County Historical Society and any other organizations concerned with historic sites and buildings.
- Place historical plaques on significant sites and buildings
- Produce a brochure which illustrates a tour of the burying yard
- Have changing exhibits in the Municipal Building showcasing important organizations in Hanover Township
- Conduct seminars to educate the children and adults of Hanover Township
The Hanover Township Landmark Commission has historic Afghan blankets for sale. Each blanket features historic places throughout Hanover Township, including Fordville, Monroe Hall, Whippany Station, and more. This warm and comfy blanket is also the perfect size for those extra-long dorm room mattresses.
These historic blankets can be purchased in the General Office at the Municipal Building for $25 each.
- 7 p.m.
- 4th Tuesday of each month
- No meetings in July and August
- Municipal Building
1000 Route 10
Conference Room B
Whippany, NJ 07981
|Blumenfeld, Babara||Treasurer||December 31, 2023|
|Conte, Rachel||Alternate 1||December 31, 2022|
|Coppola, George||Member||December 31, 2023|
|Czucknicki, Michael||Chairperson||December 31, 2024|
|Fariello, Leonardo||Member||December 31, 2023|
|Hinck, Robert||Member||December 31, 2024|
|Loughlin, Agnes||Member||December 31, 2022|
|Petrillo, Pamela||Member||December 31, 2022|
|Saul, Manfred||Member||December 31, 2023|
|Sieka, Marc||Member||December 31, 2022|
Tworischuk, Nicholas P.
December 31, 2023
|Cahill, Brian J.||Liaison||-|
|Kraynak, Ann||Recording Secretary||-|
Members are appointed by the Township Committee.
Ethics Law Financial Disclosures
Members are not required to file the State Mandated Local Government Ethics Law Financial Disclosure Statement in accordance with New Jersey Statutes Annotated (NJSA) 40A:9-22.1 et seq.
Board Describing Statute
Chapter 31 of the Code of the Township Entitled Landmark Commission.